Thursday, February 5, 2009

Losing A Family Member

On the 7th day of chinese new year, I lost my granny. She wasn't my maternal granny. She's my granpa's 2nd wife. We got the news that she passed away when we were on our way to the hospital. Before she passed away, I received a phone call. It was my mother's handphone. She didn't bring it out as she was attending a cny something something which I forget what something something was that. Upon answering the call, all I could hear was shrieks and shoutings. All I could listen was "auntie.... hospital.....". I'm not sure what is happening that moment. I thought someone was playing a prank or what so ever. I pass the phone to my sis and she thought the same way too. So, she hung up the phone. Few minutes later, my mum's handphone rang again. This time, my sis answered it. Then, everything starts to tensed up. My sis expression changed. I overheard the conversation and asked my sis what's going on. She told my that my granny fell unconscious suddenly. We quickly ran into my parents room and woke my dad up. We wasn't sure about what is going around. Dad decided to wait till my mum comes back. But the phone kept ringing. This time was my aunt calling. She asked my dad whether we received any call regarding my granny. After that call, another call was entering. But we don't know who called. But he told us that mr granny is in a critical condition. We all got nervous and decided to go and look for my mum so that we can go to the hospital together. When my dad was getting ready to go out, I received another call on my mum's handphone. The guy call us to hurry up to go to the hospital. They were doing CPR to rescue my granny. When I heard that, all I could do is to hurry my dad and called all the possible numbers on my mum's handphone so that we could track her down and pick her up to go to the hospital. Luck wasn't seem to be on our side. Each time I call, they don't know where is my mother. All they know is my mum when back already but they don't know whom my mum with. We cant contact my mum as her handphone is with us. All we could do is go to every house that she might be. Then, my sis saw my mum in someone's car. And my dad says to my sis "everyone also looks like your mother one la" He continue driving without bothering. But luckily he drove slowly. It was really my mother in that car. We picked her up and went straight to hospital. When my dad was finding a place to park his car, my mum receive a call from my aunt saying my granny had passed away. My sis and I went down from the car and straight into the hospital. We waited there as we didn't know which floor to go. When we reached my granny ward, my mum had a talk with my uncle whom is a doctor and make decisions for my granny's son who stays at Singapore. I hid myself in a corner and cried. After holding back my feelings and waited for my aunt who is a nurse to clean my granny's body, my sis and I had a little flashbacks. We remembered those days when my granny and my grandpa were still alive, they brought us to Pekan. I couldn't remember much as I was so young that time. All I have now was pictures and my sis tell me of what she knows. Both of us were trying to hold back our tears. We also mentioned those days where my granny came down from Singapore to stay in the old folk's home. My granny had a great fall and the living expenses in Singapore is rather high. So, my uncle decided to put her at Kuantan. I can remember distinctly those days we visited her at the old folk's home. We bought kiwi for her as she had diabetes and can't eat anything sweet. My mother always cooks steam Dory fish for her during the weekends when we visit her. Then, few years later, my uncle decided to bring my granny back to Singapore as she was recovering from her injury. I went down to Singapore in 2007 and visited her. That was the last time I've seen her when she's still alive. After finishing all the procedures, my granny body was brought to 'jik sin tong'. It was a place to put bodies to be prayed by family and relatives. The day she passed away, my whole family spent the night there until 1 something in the morning as my uncle was on his way coming from Singapore. The next day, my mum went there around 1pm to take turns to look after there. My dad, sis and I only went there after we had our dinner. We wore a blue t-shirt while my mum and dad wore white t-shirt to represent how we are related to the deceased. That night, we had a praying ceremony. It went on almost for 2 hours. After that ceremony, my sis broke into tears. I managed to hold back my feelings. On Tuesday was my granny's funeral. The person in charge told us to take a last look at our granny before they close the coffin. Earlier on my sis told my how thin was my granny was when they visited her at the hospital on Friday. I took a glance at my granny. She was so thin compared to the last time I've seen her. I was sobbing and trying to hold back my tears. All of the family kneel down in front of her coffin and bow down. As they were carrying the coffins to the middle, we were told to turn back and do not look when they were moving the coffin. We gave our last respect accordingly. When it is my turn, i kneel and gave my last respect. That moment, I started crying. After that, we stood beside the coffin. I was standing there crying the whole time. My sis was standing beside me and pat on my back to comfort me. We holded a crysanthymun flower on our hands and give respect to those who attended the funeral. When they were about to carry the coffin into the car, we circled around the coffin few times. And I was still crying. I couldn't hold back my feelings. When they carry the coffin in to the car, we kneel down and we are told to look down. We followed the car in front to the place where my granny's body is to be burnt into ashes. We hold a josstick in our hand and called my granny soul to leave to body. My uncle cried. I look as they pushes my granny's body in to the flame. There goes my granny forever...... She'll always be in our heart no matter what happen. Although she's not my real granny, but she treated us like we were her own grandchildren. May she rest in peace in her new world. God bless her.

No comments:

Post a Comment